Friday, September 28, 2012

Her Majesty the Queen and my birthday


Well, what a busy it week it has been. On Monday it was the Aberdeen Local Holiday so I had a day off. This was very good since it was my birthday. But, in reality it wasn't a day off because I went to attend the official opening of The Sir Duncan Rice Library at the University of Aberdeen. The library was opened by Her Majesty the Queen accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh. The event was superbly organised, the atmosphere was fantastic and, as ever, I met many old friends. I am full of admiration for the work of my good friend Chris Banks and her team (particularly my other good friend, the incomparable Wendy Pirie) for the way in which they accomplished the whole "new library" project. Aberdeen University has ever right to feel justifiably proud of its new library which is a stunning piece of architecture by the Danish firm schmidt hammer lassen. I have to say that it was terribly kind of Aberdeen University to lay all of this on for my birthday and it was especially kind of Her Majesty to come along too.

Tuesday saw me at an Executive Meeting of Grampian Information where we discussed many matters including training events for the coming year and about our forthcoming Annual Conference which is to be held at the Sir Duncan Rice Library and which also features a Danish angle in the form of Jens Thorhauge who retired earlier this year as Director of the Library and Media Agency in Denmark and who is arguably one of Europe's most well-informed and knowledgeable library professionals. At the risk of conflicting interests, Grampian Information has some very competitive pricing for the conference and we would love to see colleagues from elsewhere in Scotland. Our other keynote is Steve Yorkstone with Gordon Hunt and Alison Hunter doing the parallel sessions.

Wednesday saw me in Glasgow for some meetings. Then on Thursday I was up in Elgin doing a workshop with some of the library staff in connection with the re-development of local heritage services which I have mentioned previously and what a productive and creative session it was too. Lots of good ideas flowed from this and I was delighted to be joined by my former PhD student Dr Kate Friday whose research looked and the online behaviour of family historians. This was followed by a project management meeting connected with the same project. In the evening I had another of those local history talks....this time in Oldmeldrum.

Today I was doing a mid-way viva for one of our research students and that was a really, really stimulating way to spend the morning because the discussion was so animated and enthusiastic. Fantastic to see a doctoral candidate with such a great grasp of their research. I was impressed.

The week ended with a birthday lunch with friends and colleagues and it was absolutely lovely. I am lucky to work with such wonderful people and, indeed, always have been lucky in this respect. A number of bottles of Pouilly Fuissé - my favourite - flowed at Malmaison this afternoon. I received some lovely and very generous presents including, from my mother, a librarian's dream present - a complete set (29 volumes) of the original Dictionary of National Biography.

Next week looks set to be every bit as busy with our own Autumn Gathering at the Carnegie Conference Centre in Dunfermline which is an event I look forward to every year and this year's programme is very interesting with something for everyone. I am looking forward to hearing as many of the sessions as I can manage. As ever, there will be lots of people to catch up with and I'm really looking forward to seeing Biddy. I'm delighted that our CILIP CEO, Annie Mauger, is coming along too. So, see you there I hope :o)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment