Monday, October 08, 2012

Looking northwards to Orkney

The last few weeks have been hectic as they always are with the start of semester and the new intake of students. Fortunately for me my team is very well-organised and things more or less went according to plan. So I am now three weeks in to my module, Managing Library Services, which is delivered to the distance learners. In this module we look at all aspects of the management of services from planning through implementation to evaluation and impact and, of course, there is a good deal about service development planning, financial management and human resources too. I enjoy this module because I get the students to work on a case-study where they have to plan the delivery of various services, look at rationalisation and restructuring. I deliver the same module on-campus to the full-time students next semester and find that I have always learned so much for our distance learners and their experiences out in the workplace.

This week I am heading up to Orkney which is a great treat for me and I am very much looking forward to it. I am very grateful to Gary Amos for the invitation to Orkney and for organising my programme. My visit will coincide with the opening of Orkney's first crime fiction festival, Orcrime. I'm looking forward to my Broth and Breid at 12 noon on Thursday which will see the kick-off of the festival. In the afternoon, I'm going to Stromness to see the present library and the site of the new one. Then in the evening I will going to hear Ann Cleeves talk about her work, including the soon-to-be-televised Shetland series. Ann and I have been on radio together but were in different studios so I'm looking forward to meeting her in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment