Friday, October 12, 2012

Orkneyinga Saga

It will come as no surprise to any of you that I had a wonderful time in Orkney and was made to feel extraordinarily welcome. It is just over two years since I was last in Orkney and it was a great pleasure for me to go back up during my presidential year. The flight arrived bang on time at Kirkwall and I was met at the airport by Gary Amos.

I think the library and archive in Kirkwall is one of the best facilities of its kind and it is staffed by a really dedicated and enthusiastic team who have a great sense of purpose and a shared commitment to driving the service forward.

My first meeting, over coffee, was with Gary's line manager, Karen Greaves and we had a good chat about the pressures which local authorities face and how they impact on library services. We also spoke a good bit about PLQIM and its value as a quality enhancement mechanism. For Orkney, there is a very real example of this in the new reference room in the library which is a really good space mixing IT and a very good range of traditional reference materials. As you know, I have an affection for reference books so I liked this very much indeed.

At lunchtime, Orcrime 2012 was kicked off by Broth and Breid and the 'Toxic Tomato' soup was very good indeed. This was packed and indeed Orcrime events are all but sold out. Afterwards, Ann Cleeves announced the winners of the Orkney Crime Fiction short stories and it was lovely to see the looks of delight on the faces of the winners. One of the things that was apparent from this event and, indeed, from everything I saw in Orkney, is the extent to which the community values the library and is right behind all that it does.

Gary took me on a tour of the whole building and everytime I see the Search Room and, particularly, the Orkney Room I am in awe. I think the Orkney Room must be one of the finest library spaces in Scotland and what a super atmosphere it has. It is, to use that great German word, so gemütlich. Then it was off to Stromness to see the library there. This building is soon to be replaced by a really exciting new library and I am definitely going back up to see it when it is opened in 2014.

When I returned to Kirkwall, I was interviewed by the one-and-only master of Twitter, Stewart Bain who recorded the interview for YouTube. Your President duly rambled on about libraries and their place in society as is his wont. Stewart is, in my opinion, a legend for the way in which he has really made social media work for the library and I think what he has done is quite simply phenomenal.

In the evening, it was my great privilege to be introducing Ann Cleeves who was the first speaker at Orcrime. Ann and I had been on Radio Scotland together earlier in the year but this was the first time we had met face-to-face. She gave a really wonderful talk about the development of her Vera Stanhope novels, how she approaches writing and the whole process of turning novels into television programmes. She was just superb; entertaining, informative and really enthusiastic. The whole audience enjoyed it every bit as much as I did.

I really hope that Orcrime becomes an annual event and it really demonstrates the imaginative approach of Orkney Library that we have all come to appreciate and value. I think it is just so encouraging for our whole sector that the smallest library authority in Scotland can demonstrate such dedicated staff, such engaged users and such a strong commitment to doing new things.

So, dear readers, I had a lovely time in Orkney and enjoyed every minute of it. I cannot thank Gary, Karen, Stewart and all the fabulous team in Kirkwall and Stromness enough for going out of their way to make me feel welcome and for the time they gave up showing me around. Oh yes, and if you haven't visited Orkney......why not? It's a really special and magical place and its library service and staff are pretty special and magical too.

No comments:

Post a Comment